The two most common reasons “TEAMS-RDS – Tomcat” fails to stare are:
- Java got corrupted during an automatic update
- Port 80 is being used by another service, such as IIS, Apache HTTPD, etc…
Corrupted JRE Installation
To test whether Java is corrupt or not, follow the steps below:
- Open a Command Prompt “Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt“
- Enter the following command “java -version“.
- If the following error message “Error occurred during initialization of VM <linebreak> java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object” is displayed then the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) is corrupt.
To fix the corrupt JRE, stop all TEAMS-RDS Services by selecting “Start -> Programs -> TEAMS-RDS -> Stop TEAMS-RDS Services” from the Start menu. Un-install JRE and then download the latest 32-bit JRE version (currently version 1.7 as of this writing) from Oracle located here and install it. Upon completing the re-installation, start all the TEAMS-RDS services by selecting “Start -> Programs -> TEAMS-RDS -> Start TEAMS-RDS Services” from the Start menu.
Port 80 Taken By Another Service
Figuring out which application or service is bound to port 80 is beyond the scope of this document. Once you figure out the program that is bound to port 80, stop that process or service and prevent that process or service from starting. To stop a service, go to the Services control panel “Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services“. The Services control panel displays the status of all the services installed on the computer. One of the most common culprit is Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS). For IIS you would set service ‘World Wide Web Publishing’ to start manually or disable it. Select the service, right-click and select Properties from the menu. Select “Manual or Disabled” from the drop-down menu for the service’s start-up type options and click “Ok” to finish. If you set the start-up type to “Manual“, you may need to stop the service by right-clicking on it and selecting “Stop” from the menu. Re-start the TEAMS-RDS services and open the log-in page to verify its operating correctly.